£32,600 – £39,800 p.a. London based
Currently offered as a two year fixed term contract.
The Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) is a young and vigorous charity dedicated to building health research capacity in Africa. Our ultimate goal is to improve human health and save lives through excellent research in Africa, by Africans, for Africa. We currently focus on enabling emerging African scientists and their research institutions to build researcher and leadership capacity in health research with regional and global impact.
As our Science Manager, you will report to and work closely with our Deputy Director to develop, deliver and monitor our innovative and distinctive programmes that enable African health researchers to transform their career opportunities and provide crucial stepping stones towards substantial research funding and leadership.
We currently deliver the following programmes:
- AREF Fellowships Our aim is to enhance the potential of talented researchers to become leaders by strengthening their research skills, supporting mentorship and new collaborations, and enabling them to generate preliminary results and develop research proposals that can win funding. The Fellowships give researchers financial support to work for 3-9 months in a world-class institution in Africa or Europe, providing stepping-stones towards more substantially funded international grants and fellowships.
- AREF Excell Leadership Programme Excell is an experiential programme that spans over 18 months and 5 workshops which aim to transform the research leadership capabilities of the Partner Institutions and their nominated Fellows so as to enhance the research capacity of global health in Africa for Africa. The principal themes of the Excellprogramme are:
- The Researcher as Leader
- The Effective Researcher
- The Compelling Applicant
- The Researcher as Manager
- The Responsible Researcher
- AREF Grant Writing Workshops which aim to enable talented early-career health-and health-related researchers to build skills for grants/proposal/application writing and increase their competitiveness in securing international, regional and national funding.
You will be based in our central London offices and will need to be able to travel periodically for short periods to Africa and elsewhere.
We are looking for
You will have a broad understanding of human health challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa and how health research is managed and funded. You are likely to have trained as a health researcher and you may have reached PhD level or equivalent.
You will bring to AREF a passion for enabling others to succeed and for communicating with and influencing scientists, researcher leaders, funders and users of research. You will be adept at coordinating projects and teams across organisations. You will be analytical, reflective, delivery and outcomes oriented; comfortable with taking responsibility; and be a highly effective team member.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Sue Manning, Forest HR, 01425 657708 or email, email@example.com
- provide an up-to-date CV which includes your contact details, education and vocational qualifications, memberships of professional bodies, career history and explanation of any breaks in your employment history.
- provide a brief supporting statement setting out why you are the right candidate for this role and why you are interested in working for the Africa Research Excellence Fund, making reference to the information provided. The case that you make and the way that it is presented will form a key part of the shortlisting process.
- complete the equal opportunities monitoring form.
- let us know if you are not able to make any of the assessment or interview dates (the pre-arranged dates can be found in the application pack).
Closing date: Noon, Sunday 20th January 2019
Presentation, interview and work based exercise: Monday 4th February 2019